FBSU ACM Chapter Organizes a Workshop
On Data Management and Applications
The FBSU ACM Student Chapter is pleased to organize a workshop (WDMA) entitled
“Workshop on Data Management and Applications”
Which will be held on Thursday, March 31, 2016 in the University’s Main Theatre. The workshop will be featured by two invited talks:
- “Thinking Differently about Data, Data Careers, and Data Research in the Post Big Data Era” by key note speaker Prof.Peter Aiken
- “Arabic Computational Linguistics: and Overview of Efforts and Current Research” bykeynote speaker Prof. Mohammed Al-Affendi
Noteworthy that Dr.Aiken is the Founding Director of Data Blueprint, Professor of Information Systems at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and former President of the International Data Management Association (DAMA-I), and that Dr. El-Affendi is a Professor of Computer Science, Advisor to the Rector, and Director of CCIS Graduate Programs at Prince Sultan University, and a Principal Fellow of UK Higher Education Academy.
Note that ACM is the world’s largest educational and scientific computing society that delivers resources that advance computing as a science and a profession. It also provides its members with the computing field's premier Digital Library and serves them and the computing profession with leading-edge publications, conference proceedings, and career resources.
What is ACM?
ACM is an educational and scientific society uniting the world's computing educators, researchers and professionals to inspire dialogue, share resources and address the field's challenges.
ACM is widely recognized as the premier membership organization for computing professionals, delivering resources that advance computing as a science and a profession. ACM supports the professional growth of its members by providing opportunities for life-long learning, career development, and professional networking.
ACM hosts the computing industry's leading Digital Library, and serves its global members and the computing profession with journals and magazines, conferences, workshops, electronic forums, and Learning Center.
Fahad bin Sultan University Student Chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery is dedicated to provide a forum for discussion, debate, and dialogue about the issues facing the computing industry today. It also thrives to empower ACM Chapter Members and prospective members to become involved in various activities and promote the field of computing within the community.
The FBSU Student Chapter of the ACM builds a community among Computing College students, and FBSU students at large, who are interested in computing. Through various activities, the chapter aims at:
- • Engaging students in stimulating computing activities
- • Connecting students with leaders in the field
- • Encouraging students to advance the field of computing
- • Joining mentoring programs for career opportunities
- • Broadening the computing community through ACM
- • Networking with other ACM Chapter leaders and members
The chapter provides a range of activities and services including
- • Seminars by faculty members and local practitioners,
- • Visits from prominent speakers on the ACM Distinguished Speakers Program,
- • Technical and career workshops,
- • Mentoring activities through mini workshop series,
- • Field trips to industrial installations, as well as
- • Social activities
- • Miss. Entesar Ibrahim Ata, Vice Chair
- • Miss. Waiam Haidar Malibari, Treasurer
- • Yasir Maqbool Hussain, Secretary
- • Dr. May Haidar, Faculty Sponsor